Friday, March 11, 2011

The Best Pizza Dough

(from eatliverun.com)
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 1/3 cup warm water
  • 1 packet yeast (a little under a Tablespoon)
  • 1.5 tsp sea salt
    In a mixing bowl, combine the warm water and yeast.
    Stir in the salt and flour and mix on medium high speed on your KitchenAid for 5 minutes. While the mixer is going, drizzle in the olive oil.

    When the dough is soft and elastic, take out of the bowl, rub with olive oil and then place back in the bowl, cover with a dish towel and let rise for one hour.

    After the dough has doubled in size, cut in half to make two large pizza doughs or make mini doughs. You could also do what I like to do and freeze the dough in a plastic baggie for another time! When you are ready for your pizza, roll out the dough, cover with your toppings and bake at 425 for 10-15 minutes.

    **You could also make this dough without an electric mixer…..just knead by hand for about 8 minutes and then follow above steps! I’ve made it by hand many, many times and it always comes out right.

    2 comments:

    1. Hi. I don't have a comment on the pizza dough. Just wanted to say hi and I think it's hilarious that you have a cooking blog because I never saw you cook anything when we were roommates. You wanted to cook something with the wok your mom bought you for Christmas, but I think I scratched and ruined it. It could have been Mary or Christa or Jana or any of the other 1,000 women we lived with, but the sinking pit in my stomach when you confronted us with the scratched wok, red-faced, suggested perhaps I was the irresponsible roomie. I always meant to buy you a new wok, but didn't manage to eke out the funds with my scanty college income. So, all these years later I feel guilt and remorse. Next time I see you I will attempt redemption by buying you a Cafe Rio. And we will laugh or cry about the incident and eat too much and have a damn fine time. But perhaps our young toddler sons will be throwing food on the floor or defecating in their diapers or screaming for attention and we won't have the damn fine time we once had. So, in 20 years, when our kids are in college and having their own roommate conflicts, we will get together, with no impediment, and eat that oversized salad.

      Love you!
      Meredith

      ReplyDelete
    2. Hahah, it's true. Apparently my twenties were spent traveling and eating out and dating and this is the product of my thirties. Cooking - who would've ever thought I'd do that?! Except that I love good food and live in Montana where we are depressingly bereft of good restaurants, forcing me into the kitchen and a whole new wonder of life! And so funny about the wok - who cares? Apparently even when I didn't cook, I was a pill in the kitchen. I once held other roommates responsible for eating all my ice cream. Hahaha. Don't mess with my ice cream or my wok. Please don't buy me a wok but a plane ticket to come see us up here. I wonder what I'll do with my fourties? Newscaster? Olympic triathlete? Sitting in a warm corner of a Cafe Rio with my dear friend mourning the loss of our youth and our children's youth and rejoicing in what great little people they've become? And perhaps our fifties will be with grandchildren. Late fifties. Well, if by then, Cafe Rio is some Utah decade hit from 30 years previous, at least I'll have the recipes... We are nearing 15 years of friendship. Lucky, lucky me.

      ReplyDelete